From Perf Wiki
Revision as of 06:18, 7 March 2023 by Hadrien Grasland
Useful web sites about the Linux perf tools
- Brendan Gregg's perf examples
- Franck Pachot's not so basic perf top tutorial "Linux perf-top basics: understand the %"
- Frank Pachot help going from 'time' to 'perf stat' while analysing database performance on "Should CPU-intensive logic be done in the DB or in application server?"
- Leo Yan on supporting 'perf c2c' on Armv8.2 "Using the Arm Statistical Profiling Extension to detect false cache-line sharing"
- Mark Dawson, Jr. uses 'perf diff' on "5-level vs 4-level Page Tables: Does It Matter?"
- Joe Mario's original 2016 article about 'perf c2c' "C2C - False Sharing Detection in Linux Perf"
- Paul Clarke reimplements AIX's 'curt' command using perf python scripting support, detailing the whole process on "How to analyze your system with perf and Python"
- Viacheslav Biriukov mentions using perf to get more info about page cache activity in the "Advanced tools" section in his "SRE deep dive into Linux Page Cache" series of articles
- Filip Busic uses perf and other BPF tools in "Examining Problematic Memory in C/C++ Applications with BPF, perf, and Memcheck"
- (French) Hadrien Grasland's perf tutorial (designed to be run on a specific system, but could be adapted to self-study without too much effort)
Useful web sites about profilers
- Easyperf Twitter Spaces with Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo and Denis Bakhvalov October 2021
- Stephane Eranian's keynote at SuperComputing ProTools 2019: Hardware Performance Monitoring Landscape
- CppCon 2015: Chandler Carruth "Tuning C++: Benchmarks, and CPUs, and Compilers! Oh My!"
- Roberto Vitillo's presentation on Perf events June 2011
- Intel PMU event tables, in particular Appendix B of the Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Optimization Reference Manual
- AMD PMU event table, the Processor Programming Reference Manual for AMD 17h family see Section 2.1.15 Performance Monitor Counters.
- ARM PMU event tables, see Chapter D7. The Performance Monitors Extension, of the Arm Architecture Reference Manual Armv8, for Armv8-A architecture profile.
- ARM Neovese N2 PMU guide.