You'll need to install perf in your system. perf uses CPU performance counters( Performance Monitoring Counters or PMCs).
1) Install Required Packages like libelf-dev libdw-dev binutils-dev libaudit-dev by using the following command
sudo apt-get install build-essential libelf-dev libdw-dev binutils-dev libaudit-dev libtraceevent-dev systemtap-sdt-dev libunwind-dev libslang2-dev libperl-dev libzstd-dev libbabeltrace-ctf-dev
2) Download the Source code for perf-tools v6.3 using the following command
3) Install perf. Perf command is available in packages linux-tools-common, linux-intel-iotg-tools-common, etc. Hence, install any of these.
4) Run make command to build the project
4.1) It may show an error since the config file is not set and has to be changed. Run following command.
4.2) We will also need to install qt5 for this. Install it using sudo apt-get install qtbase5-dev OR sudo apt install qt5* and set the path using
4.3) Check if qt5 has been installed properly using qmake --version
4.4) Now, Finally run make xconfig and it will work properly.
5) Go to the root directory of the kernel and run perf test. You will see tests passing, skipping, or failing.
perf-tools for the current release. Merged to linux-next.
perf-tools-next staging for the next release.